Monday, June 4, 2012

Pajama Party!


This past Saturday night, I had a pajama party with the girls from Templo Bautista Church, who are also from our former neighborhood, Barrio Cristo Rey.  Many children from this neighborhood live in poverty and are highly at-risk for physical and sexual abuse, rape, incest, teen pregnancy, and dropping out of school.  Since we moved from Cristo Rey across town, I don't get to see these pretty little faces on my doorstep each night when I come home from work and I miss these kids tremendously.  And since baby girl will take over my life soon but for now is taking her sweet time, I thought this would be the perfect weekend for a sleepover party before baby girl arrives.

Of course, our sleepover consisted of all the fun things they usually do.  We ate pizza, went out for ice cream, danced and played in the park, played hide-and-go-seek and UNO, painted nails, colored pictures, and stayed up late watching Ice Age 2 on the laptop.  The girls played dress-up in my clothes and enjoyed borrowing my pajamas (which they had to tie up with hair ties to hold them up :)  But I also spent time talking to the girls about their rights as females, about Christian dating, and about what true love means.  I know you're probably thinking they look really young for this.  And yes I'd think so too.  But they take it all in and then pour out their feelings and stories.  One of these stories including a girl from their neighborhood who was repeatedly raped at the age of 9, and who now is pregnant at the age of 10.  And I think, I didn't even know what the word rape meant when I was 9 and was just feeling ready for pregnancy this year at the age of 29.  How can this possibly happen to a 4th grader?  But to these girls, it is all too familiar.  Elissa Duncan, who has been helping with our ministry over the past year, made up these awesome "Priceless Bills" and had them laminated to give to girls in the area.  These bills give girls guidelines to follow and remind them that they are priceless gifts from God who can never be purchased for any amount of money.  Their value and beauty is infinite and they are not property to be sold or purchased.  It also includes a drawing of a young girl wearing a leotard/bathing suit that says over it "Not to touch" so girls can learn about what parts of their bodies are private and should stay protected.  The girls cherished these bills and were excited taking them home with them as gifts from the sleepover.  No goody bags or gift bags, just a laminated piece of paper, but they read over each word carefully and carried them proudly with them out the door.  Thanks Elissa for sharing these, and for the difference you have made to so many girls around Jarabacoa by creating these "Priceless Bills"!

I can never emphasize enough how important it is to teach these girls their value and personal rights when they are YOUNG.  Our ministry is currently planning to teach workshops in the fall regarding sexual education and personal protection of their bodies.  I remember both as a student and teacher in Michigan, these assemblies were provided for us by professionals and we didn't have to worry about planning something ourselves.  But in this country where abuse, rape, and incest are so rampant and this kind of education is rare, it is so important to educate these girls of their personal rights.

In the meantime, my heart will continue to break for all of the stories I hear each day and I will pray for the protection and healing of the girls in each of these cases.  Will you join me in praying for this too?

Thank you to each person reading this for following us and teaming with us.  Please read and print this "Bill of Rights" to share with girls wherever YOU are to prevent abuse, rape, and trafficking.  Please continue to share with others and follow our Alliance! :)

Kristin and the Alianza team

No comments:

Post a Comment